We all know the importance water plays in our lives. Go a few hours in the heat without it, and you’ll quickly realize how much we depend on it not only to quench our thirst but to feel good in our bodies. After all, 50-80% of our bodies consist of water!
However, water does more than just keep us alive! Other than getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of water is probably the best thing you can do for your skin. Give yourself a little self love and drink a glass of water.
Just what else does water do other than help us get through summer? Let’s take a look! Water does so much for our bodies, including:
- Preventing kidney stones, some cancers, and issues with our heart valves
- Helping our brains to make hormones
- Ridding our systems of waste
- Keeping our joints and digestive system healthy
- Ensuring we stay cool
- Keeping our brains sharp and emotional state even
But what about our skin? If you thought water only helped the insides of our bodies, think again. It does just as much for our skincare as it does our internal system!
- Prevents blemishes
- Gets rid of rough, dry patches
- Keeps skin elastic and tight
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Prevents dark circles under the eyes
- Helps keep skin from being overly itchy
It’s important to note that you don’t just want to drink water to get the benefits of it on your skin. You need to wash in warm (not too hot!) water regularly and then moisturize immediately afterwards.
Side Effects of Dehydration
While it’s usually rare to have too much water (though you certainly can—especially if you’re a runner), you’re more likely to have not enough water.
When you're dehydrated, your skin will lose its youthful plumpness. You'll notice patches of flaking skin, your face and arms may seem a little saggy, and any wrinkles or fine lines will be more prominent. Even those of us who have clear skin may break out in acne, and you may notice a grey tint to your face.
The Lava Art team