Vitamin C & Why It’s Important
Vitamin C is an antioxidant and is necessary to produce collagen in the skin. It’s important as our skin is the largest organ of the body, and a deficiency of this vitamin could weaken our immune system and increase our chances of getting an infection.
Vitamin C, or also known as ascorbic acid, has received a great deal of attention, and with good reason. It’s multifunctional as it helps with collagen formation, absorption of nutrients, and proper functioning of the immune system. The list goes on, but these are just a few essential things to note about what this vitamin does for your body.
Although the recommended daily intake for Vitamin C is 75mg for women and 90mg for men, some still struggle to meet this daily requirement and turn to supplements. To help you with this, we’ve put together a list of ways for you to get more Vitamin C in your diet to strengthen your immune system for this new year.
- Looking to make some muffins or soup? Simply add pureed or grated fruits and veggies to it for a vitamin boost!
- Have cut-up fruits and veggies prepared for whenever you need a quick snack.
- Make popsicles out of strawberries, mangoes, or kiwis. They’re rich in Vitamin C and make for a cool treat.
- If you’re in the mood for a sandwich or a wrap, throw in some dark lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded broccoli slaw in it.
- Add berries wherever you can - pancakes, cereal, smoothies, and even salads.
- Short on time? Enjoy a glass of vegetable juice for a quick fix.
If you aren’t sure what you’re in the mood for, here are six of the best Vitamin C sources you can add to your meals however you prefer.
- Bell Peppers
- Brussel Sprouts
Besides doing wonders for your body, Vitamin C is also popular in skincare. Look out for this ingredient in your makeup or skincare - it can help improve skin tone and texture, hydrate the skin, and reduce signs of aging.
We love this antioxidant not only for its anti-inflammatory properties but also for how it protects the skin against free radicals - which is why you can find it in our best-selling Glow foundation and our range of skincare items.
For more products with this powerhouse ingredient, click here.
The Lava Art Team